UK/CHINA: Weetabix owner Bright coy amid IPO talk

By Katy Askew | 6 November 2012

Bright Food reported to be looking at Weetabix listing in Hong Kong

Bright Food reported to be looking at Weetabix listing in Hong Kong

Bright Food, the Chinese food group that owns a controlling stake in UK cereal maker Weetabix, has insisted its primary focus is on expanding the brand in the country amid reports it could list the business.

Responding to reports that Bright could be preparing to float Weetabix in Hong Kong, a spokesperson for the company told just-food it was "too early to say" what the group's strategy would be.

"The acquisition by Bright Food of a majority holding of Weetabix closed yesterday. It is too early at this stage to confirm future plans for Weetabix," the spokesperson said.

However, the company added it is currently assessing the best way to expand Weetabix in China.

"Efforts will be placed on successfully executing the China business plan," the spokesperson emphasised. 

Bright Food entered into an agreement to purchase 60% of Weetabix in May, in a deal that valued the group at GBP1.2bn (US$1.9bn). The remaining 40% of shares are held by private-equity group Lion Capital and Weetabix management.

Sectors: Cereal, Emerging markets

Companies: Weetabix, Bright Food, Lion

View next/previous articles

Currently reading -

UK/CHINA: Weetabix owner Bright coy amid IPO talk

There are currently no comments on this article

Be the first to comment on this article

Related research

Dairy in China

Dairy in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial met...

Lion Superindo - Gelael PT in Retailing (Indonesia)

Throughout the forecast period there is great potential for Lion Superindo –Gelael PT to expand its Super Indo supermarket network outside Java, especially in major cities outside Java, such as Medan, Manado and Balikpapan, and in developing cities o...

Related articles

Quote, unquote: just-food's week in words

Two UK-based firms were the subject of takeovers this week: R&R Ice Cream, Europe's largest own-label ice cream firm, changed hands after PAI Partners struck a deal to buy the business; and Hain Celestial snapped up UK organic baby food brand Ella's Kitchen.

AUS: Dairy "long way" from acceptable returns, admits Lion

Australian food and drink group Lion has admitted returns from dairy and soft drinks business remain "a long way from acceptable" after a challenging first quarter.

UK: "Technical issues" hit Weetabix production

Weetabix has been forced to cut production of its Weetabix Minis and Oatibix bitesize ranges, a spokesperson for the group confirmed.

Welcome to the home of food information, insight & intelligence

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page