US: Weis launches 'Local and Proud of It' campaign
US retailer Weis Markets today (4 August) announced the launch of its 'Local and Proud of It' campaign.
The campaign emphasises Weis Market's commitment to offering a selection of locally grown produce, the company said.
The campaign will be highlighted in stores with window signs, banners and 'first of the season' signs.
Weis Markets president and CEO David Hepfinger said: "For 97 years, we've purchased and sold local produce wherever we've operated stores. This year, we expect to purchase GBP21m (US$36m) of local produce from nearly 150 local producers and co-ops.
"In challenging economic times, offering local produce makes even more sense due to the lower costs of bringing it to market compared to other parts of the country and the world. Closer proximity to markets also lessens the environmental impact."
During the growing season, Weis Markets sells a variety of local produce which generates 20% of Weis Markets' produce sales.
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund