UK: Welfare group calls for end to Halal and Kosher animal slaughter method
A UK government advisory body has told the government that the method used to slaughter animals by Jews and Muslims should be banned. The Jewish and Muslim religions insist that animals are slaughtered with a sole cut to the throat. The Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) believes that this method is far more cruel than that used by most abattoirs, which involves stunning the animal prior to slaughter with a bolt to the head.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti
- Amnesty - Global brands profit from labour abuses