UK: Welfare group calls for end to Halal and Kosher animal slaughter method
A UK government advisory body has told the government that the method used to slaughter animals by Jews and Muslims should be banned. The Jewish and Muslim religions insist that animals are slaughtered with a sole cut to the throat. The Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC) believes that this method is far more cruel than that used by most abattoirs, which involves stunning the animal prior to slaughter with a bolt to the head.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever launches operational review
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Maple Leaf buys US plant-based group Lightlife
- Nestle launches global sugar target