UK: Welsh sausage launch
The Welsh Lamb Sausage is being launched into Sainsbury's stores across Wales this week (November 6 - 10). The sausage, which customers can sample from the WDA Food Directorate's Welsh Food Experience trailer, is proving a tremendous hit.Food Centre Wales, Horeb, has developed the new sausage, in conjunction with five award-winning Welsh butchers, with financial support from the WDA Food Directorate. "The Welsh Sausage was first revealed at special tastings at the Royal Welsh Show," said Mike Moran, WDA Food Directorate market channels programme executive."Visitors to the show were very impressed and kept asking us where and when they could buy them. Since then we have been working closely with Sainsbury's and the five butchers to make sure the sausages were in the shops as soon as possible."The sausage recipe remains a secret, but technologists at Food Centre Wales, who created and perfected the recipe, have revealed that it contains succulent Welsh lamb, as well as mint, leeks and special seasoning. The five butchers involved in its development are also selling the sausage. They are: Kevin Dunford, Whitchurch Village, Cardiff; Elystan Metcalfe, Llanrwst, Conwy Valley; Ieuan Edwards, Conwy; Colin Davies, Killay, Swansea; Robbie Barratt, Rhoose, Barry. "Take a food technology centre, knowledge of the meat sector and the expertise of some of Wales' best butchers - add the all important funding from the WDA Food Directorate and the result is a really tasty Welsh lamb sausage," said Jane James, Centre Manager at Food Centre Wales Horeb. "Sainsbury's tasted the product at this year's Royal Welsh Show and immediately wanted it to offer customers at their Welsh stores. Oriel Jones & Son of Llanybydder are producing the sausage for them," she added. MORE DETAILS: Menna Davies, 01686 613175 A selection of photographs are available. These can be sent electronically.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report