USA: Whole Foods Market urges FDA to amend proposed new rule and guidance on Genetically Engineered Foods
Whole Foods Market(TM) (Nasdaq: WFMI), the world's leading natural and organic food retailer, launched a consumer write-in campaign to the FDA today in opposition to the Agency's recently-announced new rule and guidance on the labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. The current proposed FDA policies only suggest voluntary labeling of GE foods and no pre-market safety testing. By urging the FDA to amend the new GE rules and guidance, Whole Foods Market is reiterating its commitment to consumer choice. Margaret Wittenberg, Vice President of Governmental and Public Affairs for Whole Foods Market believes that voluntary labeling actually does nothing for the consumer's right to know and that it is no substitute for mandated labeling. The FDA's proposal for mandatory reviews of a new genetically engineered food should also include required pre-market safety testing before it is accepted into commerce.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review