US: Winn-Dixie launches warehouse format
US retailer Winn-Dixie has launched a prototype warehouse-style store concept.
The test store, which has opened at one of its existing SaveRite locations, places additional emphasis on providing a low-price offering and running pricing promotions.
"In designing this concept, we spent a great deal of time reviewing our customers' shopping preferences. We wanted to make sure that the new store would be a true fit for the neighborhoods it serves," said Dan Portnoy, Winn-Dixie's chief merchandising and marketing officer.
"We focused only on those items and services that were most important to our customers, and, as a result, we were able to aggressively cut costs and lower prices throughout the store," he added.
The prototype store has an expanded produce and meat department and an in-store pharmacy. It also carries staple items in bulk, allowing consumers to purchase them "by the case".
Winn-Dixie was unavailable for comment as just-food went to press and the company did not indicate whether it had any plans to roll-out the new format across its SaveRite portfolio.
US retailer Winn-Dixie posted a 10% increase in third-quarter profit today (12 May) and raised its guidance for the year....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report