UK: Wiseman in talks to solve milk price feud
Wiseman is one of the major firms not to postpone its milk price cuts
Farmers angry at the plans had targeted processors and retailers in recent days with protests and blockades but their action now centres on Wiseman after the U-turns or price increases elsewhere. Farmers for Action held protests at Wiseman sites throughout the UK last night.
"We are in active and constructive discussions with our customers and also the NFU with a view to finding the means to resolve this issue," Wiseman said today (27 July).
Following the protests at the company's facilities in Scotland, Market Drayton and Droitwich last night, a Wiseman spokesperson told just-food the sites have now reopened. "There were protests last night but they're over now...All of the sites have now reopened and we have full access to and from," he said.
However, the spokesperson declined to comment on whether Wiseman would follow its rival processors by not cutting prices on 1 August.
In a statement issued to just-food, the company said: "We do not have the income to sustain the current milk price at the current levels but we fully understand dairy farmers concerns at a time that on farm costs are rising."
Wiseman said two key customers, The Co-operative Group and Aldi, had increased prices in recent days. It added: "We are making progress and further statements will be issued when there are conclusions to these discussions."
From 1 August, Wiseman plans to reduce the price it pays farmers for their milk by 1.7ppl, followed by a 2ppl cut, which took effect in June.
Unternehmensgruppe Theo Müller has confirmed plans to invest GBP17m (US$27.3m) in a new UK facility that will see the company move into butter manufacturing in the country....
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details