UK: Woodhead Bakery saved from administration
Former Morrisons supplier Woodhead Bakery has been saved from administration after being sold to two buyers on Saturday (16 April).
Administrators P&A Partnership has sold Woodhead's Scarborough bakery and 11 retail outlets to Haldane Retail Group's Bakery Products Ltd and offloaded 18 other retail outlets to Scarborough-based bakers Coopland & Sons.
The administrators said that only one store will close and some 280 staff will be transferred to the new owners.
Commenting on the sale, joint administrator Christopher White said: "We were pleased with the level of interest generated in the company's businesses and are proud to have achieved successful sales of the factory and 29 shops as going concerns. Our thanks go to all the employees at Woodheads. It's a credit to them that they carried on working with the administrators throughout these challenging last few weeks."
Haldane's Bakery Products plans to use the purchase to improve the vertical integration of its bakery products. A spokesperson for the group said: "The Woodhead bakery and shop portfolio represents an excellent fit within the existing Haldane Retail Group portfolio. It offers total vertical integration which will see the bakery supply, in due course, all Haldane Retail Group stores commencing with the initial 20 UGO stores."
The Haldane's spokesperson also said that the group plans to grow the bakery business, with plans to develop The Pie People brand "in its own right" and open retail units under the brand.
The competition from the UK's deal-chasing consumers has stepped up a notch with Sainsbury's plan to roll outs its Brand Match price-comparison scheme, writes Dean Best....
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Analysis: Market bets on higher Chiquita offer
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- Nestle makes "major pledge" on animal welfare
- Research: the new strategies for convenience food
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt