AUSTRALIA: Woolworth CEO does not fear any competition from Wal Mart
Roger Corbett, CEO of Woolworth in Australia, expressed his confidence yesterday (11 October), saying that the appearance of US retailing giant Wal-Mart would most likely have very little impact on the sales and market position of Woolworth. It is hard for international retailers, he argues, to establish themselves in such a way as to provide to the majority of people."I think they would find it extremely difficult because of our zoning laws to get critical mass in our marketplace to operate super centres in Australia." He added: "I think the chains that Woolworth and its major competitors have are well placed to provide effective competition."Corbett did reveal however that German discount chain
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods