AUSTRALIA: Woolworth CEO does not fear any competition from Wal Mart
Roger Corbett, CEO of Woolworth in Australia, expressed his confidence yesterday (11 October), saying that the appearance of US retailing giant Wal-Mart would most likely have very little impact on the sales and market position of Woolworth. It is hard for international retailers, he argues, to establish themselves in such a way as to provide to the majority of people."I think they would find it extremely difficult because of our zoning laws to get critical mass in our marketplace to operate super centres in Australia." He added: "I think the chains that Woolworth and its major competitors have are well placed to provide effective competition."Corbett did reveal however that German discount chain
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review