AUS: Woolworths FY earnings up, forecasts higher profit
CEO Grant O'Brien said the “strong” results were delivered against a backdrop of “challenging" retail conditions
Australian retailer Woolworths Ltd said it expects to see an improvement in earnings in its new financial year after booking an increase in full-year profits.
Earnings in the 12 months to the end of June reached A$1.26bn (US$1.12bn), a 22.8% increase on the prior year period.
EBITDA climbed 9.2% to A$4.23bn. CEO Grant O'Brien said the "strong" results were delivered against a backdrop of "challenging retail conditions and high levels of consumer uncertainty".
Sales from continuing operations reached A$58.5bn, up 6.8% on the prior year.
"We have seen good momentum across the group with higher comparable sales and stronger profit growth," said O'Brien. "This result demonstrates increased momentum across the group that shows Woolworths will continue to generate sustainable profit growth into the future."
Woolworths said it is hopeful of a "modest" improvement in market conditions over the course of the current fiscal year, lifting profit 4% to 7%, stripping out one-time items.
Click here to view the full earnings release.
Woolworths Ltd CFO Tom Pockett is to step down as the Australian grocer's CFO in February....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019