AUS: Woolworths FY earnings up, forecasts higher profit
CEO Grant O'Brien said the “strong” results were delivered against a backdrop of “challenging" retail conditions
Australian retailer Woolworths Ltd said it expects to see an improvement in earnings in its new financial year after booking an increase in full-year profits.
Earnings in the 12 months to the end of June reached A$1.26bn (US$1.12bn), a 22.8% increase on the prior year period.
EBITDA climbed 9.2% to A$4.23bn. CEO Grant O'Brien said the "strong" results were delivered against a backdrop of "challenging retail conditions and high levels of consumer uncertainty".
Sales from continuing operations reached A$58.5bn, up 6.8% on the prior year.
"We have seen good momentum across the group with higher comparable sales and stronger profit growth," said O'Brien. "This result demonstrates increased momentum across the group that shows Woolworths will continue to generate sustainable profit growth into the future."
Woolworths said it is hopeful of a "modest" improvement in market conditions over the course of the current fiscal year, lifting profit 4% to 7%, stripping out one-time items.
Click here to view the full earnings release.
Grocery retailers grew by 3% in current value terms over 2012, to generate revenues of A$111.6 billion. Growth in 2012 was similar to the review period performance which saw a CAGR of 5% in current va...
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Greencore convenience focus delivers growth
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details