AUS: Woolworths gains amid focus on price, range
Woolworths enjoyed "solid" H1 profits
Woolworths Ltd, Australia's largest retailer, said today (28 February) its core business had made gains in basket size and traffic in the first half of its financial year through a focus on prices and its product range.
The grocer, facing stiff competition from arch-rival Coles and with Aldi expanding in Australia, said its Australian food and liquor had "increased market share, customer numbers, basket size, items sold and sales per square metre" in the 27 weeks to 5 January.
Sales from food and liquor were up 4.8% at A$21.48bn (US$19.42bn). Comparable-store sales increased 3%, with a 3.4% rise in the second quarter. EBIT climbed 6.8% to A$1.69bn.
"We have delivered 6.8% EBIT growth in our Australian food and liquor business, consistent with our priority to extend our leadership in food and liquor," which has been achieved in a highly competitive marketplace," CEO Grant O'Brien said.
Grocery retailers grew by 3% in current value terms over 2012, to generate revenues of A$111.6 billion. Growth in 2012 was similar to the review period performance which saw a CAGR of 5% in current va...
Grocery retailers continued to see strong growth in 2013, with 3% in current value terms to generate revenues of A$115.7 billion. This is broadly in line with review period performance, which saw a CA...
Geographically, the company is focusing on building up critical mass in the capital cities in the eastern states. It is aggressive in signing up new franchisees to enable the expansion. In this sense ...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- McCain to close Grobbendonk plant in Belgium
- Jobs to go at FrieslandCampina cheese plant
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019