AUS: Woolworths posts "solid" H1 sales
- H1 sales from continuing ops up 4.8%
- Comparable-store sales in Australia increase 2.7%
- Coles booked faster comparable-store growth
Woolworths said it had "sharpened focus" on customer demand
Woolworths Ltd CEO Grant O'Brien has claimed "solid" first-half sales for the Australian retailer and insisted its domestic food and liquor business had increased its market share.
The company, Australia's largest retailer, booked a 4.8% rise in half-year sales from continuing operations, excluding petrol, to A$30bn (US$31.23bn) for the six months to 30 December.
O'Brien said Woolworths had a "sharpened focus on ... meeting customers' needs". He added: "The growth our businesses are achieving while pursuing a transformational path for Woolworths is pleasing. However, there is still a great deal more to do."
Sales from Woolworths' Australian food and liquor business were up 4.7% at A$20.5bn. Comparable-store sales increased 2.7%.
Woolworths' total supermarket division, which also includes stores in New Zealand, saw sales increase 3.7%.
Earlier this week, rival Coles reported a 3.8% rise in comparable-store sales from its food and liquor business in Australia.
Click here for the full release.
Coles, Australia's second-largest grocer, has paid fines totalling more than A$60,000 for alleged misleading country-of-origin claims....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019