AUS: Woolworths posts "solid" H1 sales
- H1 sales from continuing ops up 4.8%
- Comparable-store sales in Australia increase 2.7%
- Coles booked faster comparable-store growth
Woolworths said it had "sharpened focus" on customer demand
Woolworths Ltd CEO Grant O'Brien has claimed "solid" first-half sales for the Australian retailer and insisted its domestic food and liquor business had increased its market share.
The company, Australia's largest retailer, booked a 4.8% rise in half-year sales from continuing operations, excluding petrol, to A$30bn (US$31.23bn) for the six months to 30 December.
O'Brien said Woolworths had a "sharpened focus on ... meeting customers' needs". He added: "The growth our businesses are achieving while pursuing a transformational path for Woolworths is pleasing. However, there is still a great deal more to do."
Sales from Woolworths' Australian food and liquor business were up 4.7% at A$20.5bn. Comparable-store sales increased 2.7%.
Woolworths' total supermarket division, which also includes stores in New Zealand, saw sales increase 3.7%.
Earlier this week, rival Coles reported a 3.8% rise in comparable-store sales from its food and liquor business in Australia.
Click here for the full release.
Coles, Australia's second-largest grocer, has paid fines totalling more than A$60,000 for alleged misleading country-of-origin claims....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities