AUSTRALIA: Woolworths to open more than 100 stores this year
Woolworths to open stores across its portfolio of retail banners
Woolworths Ltd, Australia's largest supermarket group, has said that it plans to open 108 new stores during fiscal 2014.
The company said that it would open outlets across its supermarket, forecourt, drink retail brands and general merchandise stores.
The move will create 6,981 new jobs and supports its "generation success" youth employment scheme, Woolworths said. The company did not reveal how much it will invest in the store openings.
Last week Coles, Australia's second largest retailer, said that it will open 70 stores over the next three years, creating 8,000 new store roles.
Competition has increased between Woolworths and Coles, with the latter narrowing the gap in market share in recent years.
At the end of 2013, Coles' share of the Australian grocery sector stood at 33.5%, compared to Woolworths' 39%, according to local industry analysts Roy Market Research. The analysts said Coles had narrowed the gap to Woolworths and had seen its market share grow to its highest level since March 2008.
Shares in Woolworths edged up 1.07% to close at A$36.84 (US$33.40) on the ASX.
Grocery retailers continued to see strong growth in 2013, with 3% in current value terms to generate revenues of A$115.7 billion. This is broadly in line with review period performance, which saw a CA...
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
Geographically, the company is focusing on building up critical mass in the capital cities in the eastern states. It is aggressive in signing up new franchisees to enable the expansion. In this sense ...
Aldi Stores Supermarkets Pty Ltd continues to aggressively position itself as the smarter choice for consumers by offering the best value compared to Coles and Woolworths supermarkets. It has invested...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015