AUSTRALIA: Woolworths to open more than 100 stores this year
Woolworths to open stores across its portfolio of retail banners
Woolworths Ltd, Australia's largest supermarket group, has said that it plans to open 108 new stores during fiscal 2014.
The company said that it would open outlets across its supermarket, forecourt, drink retail brands and general merchandise stores.
The move will create 6,981 new jobs and supports its "generation success" youth employment scheme, Woolworths said. The company did not reveal how much it will invest in the store openings.
Last week Coles, Australia's second largest retailer, said that it will open 70 stores over the next three years, creating 8,000 new store roles.
Competition has increased between Woolworths and Coles, with the latter narrowing the gap in market share in recent years.
At the end of 2013, Coles' share of the Australian grocery sector stood at 33.5%, compared to Woolworths' 39%, according to local industry analysts Roy Market Research. The analysts said Coles had narrowed the gap to Woolworths and had seen its market share grow to its highest level since March 2008.
Shares in Woolworths edged up 1.07% to close at A$36.84 (US$33.40) on the ASX.
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- ACCC slams Heinz for 'unhealthy' kids range
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights