AUSTRALIA: Woolworths to open more than 100 stores this year
Woolworths to open stores across its portfolio of retail banners
Woolworths Ltd, Australia's largest supermarket group, has said that it plans to open 108 new stores during fiscal 2014.
The company said that it would open outlets across its supermarket, forecourt, drink retail brands and general merchandise stores.
The move will create 6,981 new jobs and supports its "generation success" youth employment scheme, Woolworths said. The company did not reveal how much it will invest in the store openings.
Last week Coles, Australia's second largest retailer, said that it will open 70 stores over the next three years, creating 8,000 new store roles.
Competition has increased between Woolworths and Coles, with the latter narrowing the gap in market share in recent years.
At the end of 2013, Coles' share of the Australian grocery sector stood at 33.5%, compared to Woolworths' 39%, according to local industry analysts Roy Market Research. The analysts said Coles had narrowed the gap to Woolworths and had seen its market share grow to its highest level since March 2008.
Shares in Woolworths edged up 1.07% to close at A$36.84 (US$33.40) on the ASX.
Grocery retailers continued to see strong growth in 2013, with 3% in current value terms to generate revenues of A$115.7 billion. This is broadly in line with review period performance, which saw a CA...
Grocery retailers grew by 3% in current value terms over 2012, to generate revenues of A$111.6 billion. Growth in 2012 was similar to the review period performance which saw a CAGR of 5% in current va...
2007-2010 was a period of rapid growth and acquisitions for Australian United Retailers Limited, so much so that the company found it hard to adjust. Its appetite for growth over the forecast period w...
Drinking milk products is growing by 4% in current value terms in 2013 up from the 3% growth experienced in 2012. Most of this growth is coming from categories outside of the mainstay of cow’s milk, t...
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- Heinz halves sugar in ketchup launch
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Bisco Misr says Kellogg eyeing majority stake
- Olam sells Cote d'Ivoire dairy to FrieslandCampina
- China - ISA Country Report
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- Other Dairy in Russia
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Food and Grocery Retailing, 2013-2018: Market Dynamics, Retail Trends and Competitive Landscape