RUSSIA: X5 launches Mercado hypermarkets
X5 Retail Group, the Russian grocer, has launched its first hypermarket under the Mercado Supercenter banner in Lipetsk.
The creation of the new banner resulted from the rebranding of "My" hypermarkets, which were acquired as part of the Korzinka deal in 2007.
"Hypermarkets are very important to us as we see this market as a big growth opportunity," a spokesperson for Russia's biggest retailer by sales told just-food. "To drive growth of the My hypermarkets, we rebranded and restyled them to increase consumer appeal."
The new store has a net selling space of 6,000 square metres and offers around 40,000 SKUs. About 30% of products offered are non-food items, X5 said. About 20% of products come from local manufacturers.
"Clearly we do not plan to stop where we are - this is just the first step in execution of our strategy of rolling-out Mercado Supercenters across European Russia and Urals," Antonio Melo, X5's chief operating officer, said.
Russian discount retailer Kopeika has secured a RUB4bn (US$142.9m) loan from state-controlled bank Sberbank, according to reports....
Russian grocer Magnit Group has secured a RUB300m (US$11m) loan from state bank VTB as part of a government-backed programme to support the country's retailers....
X5 Retail Group, Russia's largest retailer by sales, has scaled down its expansion plans over fears that turmoil in the financial markets will dent demand, despite posting a sharp rise in like-for-lik...
X5 Retail Group, Russia's largest retailer by sales, today (19 September) announced a number of key management appointments to strengthen its senior management team....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Lamb Weston goes it alone: six things to learn
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report