UPDATE: RUSSIA: X5 reiterates interest in Wal-Mart "target" Kopeika
Reports in Russia claim X5's interest in Kopeika is waning
X5 Retail Group, Russia's largest retailer by sales, has repeated its interest in buying local rival Kopeika amid reports that Wal-Mart Stores is again circling the business.
Russian business dairy Vedomosti today (15 October) reported that Wal-Mart, which has been linked to Kopeika since 2002, had resumed talks with the chain's owners.
X5, however, has been pursuing Kopeika, a discount chain with almost 600 outlets.
Last month, X5 got the backing of Russia's competition watchdog should it succeed in buying the retailer, although the regulator's approval was dependent on X5 offloading some stores.
Speaking to just-food, a spokesperson for X5 confirmed the company was still interested, although she refused to be drawn on suggestions in the Vedomosti piece that the retailer's enthusiasm for a deal had waned. "Well, I'm not going to comment on the level of our interest," the X5 spokesperson said.
just-food's exclusive partnership with the Consumer Analyst Group Europe conference last week provided us with the chance to hear how the likes of Nestle, Danone and Unilever viewed the current tradin...
X5 Retail Group said today (8 April) it saw an acceleration in like-for-like sales growth from its supermarkets during the first quarter of 2011, as net sales at Russia's largest retailer by sales sur...
X5 Retail Group's largest shareholder, Alfa-Group has today (7 April) described speculation that it is looking to merge Russia's largest grocer with an international retailer as being "unfounded"....
US dairy products maker Lifeway Foods was yesterday (31 January) upbeat about its prospects for 2011 despite booking falling profits for 2010 amid higher milk and advertising costs....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund