RUSSIA: X5 Retail to invest in Tula region expansion
Around 1,000 jobs are expected to be created through the investment, says X5
Russian retailer X5 Retail Group is to invest RUR1bn (US$32m) in the Tula region, south of Moscow.
X5 said it has signed a cooperation agreement with local government officials for the project, which it says will develop the region's retail infrastructure.
The investment will be made over the next two years and will lead to the opening of around 45 stores in Tula, a city situated 200 km to the south of Moscow. X5 already operates 57 Pyaterochka soft discounter stores in the Tula region.
Around 1,000 jobs are expected to be created through the investment, it said.
"The Tula region is a fast-developing Russian region that is open for investments," said Mikhail Susov, X5's corporate relations director. "That is why X5 intends to expand the company's presence in the region by opening new Pyaterochka, Perekrestok and Karusel stores, in order to provide consumers with high quality products at affordable prices."
Russian retailer Magnit has seen profits benefit from improved purchasing terms and cost controls as it expanded its store footprint over the past 12 months....
This week saw the debate around the food industry's role in the obesity epidemic come to the fore once again, as the UK Government warned that the industry must do more or face the possibility of legi...
The release of X5 Retail Group's sales figures has prompted pundits to suggest that Magnit could overtake X5 as Russia's largest retailer this year....
- Murray Goulburn's FY results - 7 things to learn
- Why Jet.com purchase could boost Wal-Mart online
- Interview, part 1: Emmi CEO Urs Riedener
- Nestle on China, candy, nutrition - analysis
- England child obesity plan should cheer industry
- Australia launches dairy sector probe
- Mondelez buys rest of Vietnam snacks business
- Tyson faces investor scrutiny on ethical issues
- Nomad Foods touts progress as H1 results worsen
- Arla points to branded growth as group sales slide