JAPAN: Yakult to quit Argentina
Yakult Honsha is set to exit Argentina after failing to achieve a profit in the country.
The Japanese firm will dissolve its sales subsidiary in Argentina, seemingly drawing a curtain on the Japanese firm's 16-year struggle to gain a foothold in the country.
"Since it has not been possible to establish a sufficient business foundation in Argentina, and we do not see any prospects for profitability, we have decided to dissolve the company," said the group. It added the financial impact on its wider business will be "minimal".
Yakult founded its subsidiary in Argentina in December 1996, and started selling products imported from Brazil in May 1997.
In November this year, Yakult reported a 13% drop in global net profits for its fiscal second quarter. Meanwhile, spare funds for investment appear to be heading to China, with news that it will build its fourth facility in the country.
Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd. (President: Takashige Negishi) would like to inform that we have decided to dissolve Yakult Argentina S.A., our sales subsidiary in Argentina.
1. Background of the dissolution of Yakult Argentina S.A.
Yakult Argentina S.A. started sales of “Yakult” in May 1997, importing products from Brazil. However, since it has not been possible to establish a sufficient business foundation in Argentina and we do not see any prospects for profitability, we have decided to dissolve the company.
2. Profile of Yakult Argentina S.A.
(1) Company name: Yakult Argentina S.A.
(2) Business: Import and sales of “Yakult”
(3) Date of foundation: December 6, 1996
(4) Address of the head office: Av. Corrientes 1302 8o Piso Ciudad de Buenos Aires Argentina
3. Effects on consolidated business performance
Effects of the dissolution of the subsidiary on our consolidated business performance will be minimal.
Original source: Yakult Honsha
A TV ad for Yakult yoghurt drink has been banned by the UK's advertising watchdog for implying health benefits that were not supported by an approved health claim....
Danone and Japanese probiotic drinks group Yakult Honsha have ended a long-standing alliance and replaced it with a looser "cooperation framework"....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020