UK: Yoplait rapped by ASA over health claims
Yoplait is now showing a revised version of the advert
Yoghurt maker Yoplait has been rapped by the UK's advertising watchdog for claiming one of its yoghurts could help reduce the risk of broken bones.
The television advert for the firm's Calin+ yoghurt featured a woman talking about a fall her mother had and how she has now started eating the Yoplait product every day to protect her bones.
"It's the only yoghurt from Yoplait to bring 100% of the daily need in vitamin D in one single pot. And it's so good. You should try it too," a voice-over states. "New Calin+, calcium plus vitamin D for strong bones."
The ASA, however, ruled that the commercial created an "overall impression that vitamin D in addition to calcium could help reduce the risk of suffering a bone fracture".
"Consequently, we considered it could be interpreted as making a reduction of disease-risk claim (RDR claim)."
Yoplait was ordered not to show the advert again in its current form.
The company is now showing a revised version of the advert that complies with the ASA ruling.
Brigitte Rousseau, director of nutrition and regulatory affairs for Yoplait said the aim of the ad was to "introduce the subject of bone health which is a major Public Health concern and make consumers aware of the importance of both vitamin D and calcium in the diet".
She added: "Despite this and approval of the ad by Clearcast, we will comply with the ASA request. We are now back on air with a revised TV ad which provides viewers with adequate information to highlight the importance of both Vitamin D and calcium in their diet for the health maintenance of bones they need."
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
John West tuna owner, MW Brands, has appointed Kellogg executive Elisabeth Fleuriot as its CEO....
General Mills unveiled plans for a raft of new products last week as it seeks to improve sales across its business, particularly in the Yoplait owner's yoghurt division. There was a major piece of con...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details