UK: Yoplait rapped by ASA over health claims
Yoplait is now showing a revised version of the advert
Yoghurt maker Yoplait has been rapped by the UK's advertising watchdog for claiming one of its yoghurts could help reduce the risk of broken bones.
The television advert for the firm's Calin+ yoghurt featured a woman talking about a fall her mother had and how she has now started eating the Yoplait product every day to protect her bones.
"It's the only yoghurt from Yoplait to bring 100% of the daily need in vitamin D in one single pot. And it's so good. You should try it too," a voice-over states. "New Calin+, calcium plus vitamin D for strong bones."
The ASA, however, ruled that the commercial created an "overall impression that vitamin D in addition to calcium could help reduce the risk of suffering a bone fracture".
"Consequently, we considered it could be interpreted as making a reduction of disease-risk claim (RDR claim)."
Yoplait was ordered not to show the advert again in its current form.
The company is now showing a revised version of the advert that complies with the ASA ruling.
Brigitte Rousseau, director of nutrition and regulatory affairs for Yoplait said the aim of the ad was to "introduce the subject of bone health which is a major Public Health concern and make consumers aware of the importance of both vitamin D and calcium in the diet".
She added: "Despite this and approval of the ad by Clearcast, we will comply with the ASA request. We are now back on air with a revised TV ad which provides viewers with adequate information to highlight the importance of both Vitamin D and calcium in their diet for the health maintenance of bones they need."
John West tuna owner, MW Brands, has appointed Kellogg executive Elisabeth Fleuriot as its CEO....
General Mills unveiled plans for a raft of new products last week as it seeks to improve sales across its business, particularly in the Yoplait owner's yoghurt division. There was a major piece of con...
The British Retail Consortium's annual symposium brought together the great and the good of the UK retail scene. On the other side of the globe, retail was also a focus as debate over the relationship...
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis