Blog: A bacon coffin? Really?
Katy Askew | 29 March 2012
Every once in a while, I find my inbox to contain a press release that manages to stop me in my tracks. And that is just what happened today (29 March), when I saw that J&D's Foods has launched a bacon coffin.
It took me a few moments to get my head around exactly what this means. No, not a coffin for bacon, a bacon-themed coffin for deceased bacon lovers.
The release reads: "You ate bacon, you decorated your body with bacon, your car with bacon and your home with bacon. And now, you can peacefully rest wrapped in bacon."
Now it is possible I need to expand my social horizons, but I have never come across anyone who "decorates" their body, car or house in bacon. Or any other food for that matter.
Toning down the crazy just a notch, it turns out that bacon coffins are "finished with a painted bacon and pork shading" and "accented with gold stationary handles".
Makes a little more sense. Even so, while I love a bacon sandwich as much as the next person, I find it hard to imagine a great demand for this - even among the most die-hard bacon lovers.
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs