Blog: A bacon coffin? Really?
Katy Askew | 29 March 2012
Every once in a while, I find my inbox to contain a press release that manages to stop me in my tracks. And that is just what happened today (29 March), when I saw that J&D's Foods has launched a bacon coffin.
It took me a few moments to get my head around exactly what this means. No, not a coffin for bacon, a bacon-themed coffin for deceased bacon lovers.
The release reads: "You ate bacon, you decorated your body with bacon, your car with bacon and your home with bacon. And now, you can peacefully rest wrapped in bacon."
Now it is possible I need to expand my social horizons, but I have never come across anyone who "decorates" their body, car or house in bacon. Or any other food for that matter.
Toning down the crazy just a notch, it turns out that bacon coffins are "finished with a painted bacon and pork shading" and "accented with gold stationary handles".
Makes a little more sense. Even so, while I love a bacon sandwich as much as the next person, I find it hard to imagine a great demand for this - even among the most die-hard bacon lovers.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review