Blog: A bacon coffin? Really?
Katy Askew | 29 March 2012
Every once in a while, I find my inbox to contain a press release that manages to stop me in my tracks. And that is just what happened today (29 March), when I saw that J&D's Foods has launched a bacon coffin.
It took me a few moments to get my head around exactly what this means. No, not a coffin for bacon, a bacon-themed coffin for deceased bacon lovers.
The release reads: "You ate bacon, you decorated your body with bacon, your car with bacon and your home with bacon. And now, you can peacefully rest wrapped in bacon."
Now it is possible I need to expand my social horizons, but I have never come across anyone who "decorates" their body, car or house in bacon. Or any other food for that matter.
Toning down the crazy just a notch, it turns out that bacon coffins are "finished with a painted bacon and pork shading" and "accented with gold stationary handles".
Makes a little more sense. Even so, while I love a bacon sandwich as much as the next person, I find it hard to imagine a great demand for this - even among the most die-hard bacon lovers.
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Danone eyes efficiency, agility with new structure
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Danone sales dampened by Europe, China