Blog: A day discussing innovation
Dean Best | 11 April 2011
just-food is in the picturesque UK town of Windsor today (11 April) to hear the UK food industry discuss the trends affecting innovation in the sector.
At the Food and Drink Innovation Dialogue event, presentations from the likes of industry analysts Mintel, dairy giant FrieslandCampina and ketchup-to-soup maker Heinz have discussed subjects as varied as NPD, reformulation and packaging.
Mintel analyst David Jago discussed how NPD had been affected by the economic downturn and, among his conclusions, he said some of the categories seeing the most innovation had included the more "indulgent" sectors of the food industry.
Notably, Jago said that ethical and environmental claims made on new products - which had proved relatively robust during the downturn - had shown the first signs of levelling off.
And, in recent years, manufacturers' claims around health and wellness had moved from diet to a more "holistic" focus to food makers emphasising the "natural" properties of their products, he said.
Crtically for brand-owners, Jago argued that brands were being "reassessed" by consumers, with shoppers becoming less loyal and a only a minority of consumers believing brands were "better" than own-label.
The day has also taken in the issues of clean label and the trend to food manufacturers launching more 'natural' products. Delegates also heard about Heinz's moves to reformulate its product portfolio, while FrieslandCampina discussed its packaging innovation.
Over the next few days, just-food will be bringing the news and views from the event so keep your eyes peeled on our pages.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review