Blog: A different slant on trans fats
Catherine Sleep | 25 October 2004
Some interesting input from a food expert regarding industry moves to reduce trans fats, which I wrote about in last week’s newsletter. Thought you might find it interesting:
This trans fat thing is shaping up to be an unfortunate tradeoff. Newly formulated "trans fat-free" oils (oils never had trans fat, but that's another gripe) are much lower in the beneficial omega-3 fatty acid, linolenic acid, something we already get too little of (compared with the over-abundant omega-6, linoleic acid). If this is how products are to become "healthier" (because these re-engineered oils don't require hydrogenation to provide the desired texture and shelf-stability properties in baked goods), then I think some disclosure is in order on the part of industry (or at least the food media).
Nutrition Director, Palate Works
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Gen Mills uses NPD, renovation to heat soup sales
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities