Blog: A different slant on trans fats
Catherine Sleep | 25 October 2004
Some interesting input from a food expert regarding industry moves to reduce trans fats, which I wrote about in last week’s newsletter. Thought you might find it interesting:
This trans fat thing is shaping up to be an unfortunate tradeoff. Newly formulated "trans fat-free" oils (oils never had trans fat, but that's another gripe) are much lower in the beneficial omega-3 fatty acid, linolenic acid, something we already get too little of (compared with the over-abundant omega-6, linoleic acid). If this is how products are to become "healthier" (because these re-engineered oils don't require hydrogenation to provide the desired texture and shelf-stability properties in baked goods), then I think some disclosure is in order on the part of industry (or at least the food media).
Nutrition Director, Palate Works
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review