Blog: A fair trade?
Catherine Sleep | 18 May 2005
Organic chocolate firm Green & Black’s, whose Maya Gold dark chocolate was the first product to be awarded the Fairtrade mark back in 1994, has been bought by UK confectionery giant Cadbury Schweppes.
Craig Sams, who, together with his wife Josephine Fairley, founded Green & Black’s in 1991, also co-founded the Whole Earth food company and chairs the Soil Association, the UK’s certifier of organic products. So why is a man with such clear interests in organic and fair trade issues selling his chocolate company to a multinational such as Cadbury? Isn’t there a risk that Green & Black’s ethical principles will get lost under the control of a non-Fairtrade chocolate company?
The Guardian published an interview with the man himself earlier this week, which makes for interesting reading.
Acting Editor, just-food.com
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report