Blog: A fishy tale
Catherine Sleep | 31 August 2004
Fresh back from a lovely bank holiday weekend down in Devon – it was the last public holiday we get before Christmas so we all tried to make the most of it and fortunately the weather played ball. I spent a couple of afternoons out fishing with my nieces in the little boat their parents share with another family. At just six and eight years of age, it was great to see how confident they are in and on the water and how knowledgeable they are becoming about the ways of the sea.
Our efforts with the fishing rod were rewarded with a couple of good-sized mackerel which the girls duly took home and had for supper. It got me thinking: is it okay to do this, or does it contribute to over fishing? Two mackerel might be small fry but of course there were loads of other little vessels out fishing too, and they go out quite often. Perhaps we can justify it by thinking that we’d otherwise be buying more fish, so they’d get fished anyway. But on the other hand, does it mean that more fish remains unsold? Or do I just overanalyse?
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
Ask any FMCG executive to list the trends shaking up the sector and digital and e-commerce will be pretty high on the list. Drill down into that and Amazon will be one of the subjects in the digital s...
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020