Blog: A fishy tale
Catherine Sleep | 31 August 2004
Fresh back from a lovely bank holiday weekend down in Devon – it was the last public holiday we get before Christmas so we all tried to make the most of it and fortunately the weather played ball. I spent a couple of afternoons out fishing with my nieces in the little boat their parents share with another family. At just six and eight years of age, it was great to see how confident they are in and on the water and how knowledgeable they are becoming about the ways of the sea.
Our efforts with the fishing rod were rewarded with a couple of good-sized mackerel which the girls duly took home and had for supper. It got me thinking: is it okay to do this, or does it contribute to over fishing? Two mackerel might be small fry but of course there were loads of other little vessels out fishing too, and they go out quite often. Perhaps we can justify it by thinking that we’d otherwise be buying more fish, so they’d get fished anyway. But on the other hand, does it mean that more fish remains unsold? Or do I just overanalyse?
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review