Blog: A fishy tale
Catherine Sleep | 31 August 2004
Fresh back from a lovely bank holiday weekend down in Devon – it was the last public holiday we get before Christmas so we all tried to make the most of it and fortunately the weather played ball. I spent a couple of afternoons out fishing with my nieces in the little boat their parents share with another family. At just six and eight years of age, it was great to see how confident they are in and on the water and how knowledgeable they are becoming about the ways of the sea.
Our efforts with the fishing rod were rewarded with a couple of good-sized mackerel which the girls duly took home and had for supper. It got me thinking: is it okay to do this, or does it contribute to over fishing? Two mackerel might be small fry but of course there were loads of other little vessels out fishing too, and they go out quite often. Perhaps we can justify it by thinking that we’d otherwise be buying more fish, so they’d get fished anyway. But on the other hand, does it mean that more fish remains unsold? Or do I just overanalyse?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities