Blog: A good year for turkeys?
Catherine Sleep | 23 December 2005
What makes a Christmas dinner? That depends where you live. Germans eat fish or goose, while classical Christmas fare in Denmark is pork or roast duck. Nevertheless, in many countries, and certainly in the US and the UK, nothing tops turkey on Christmas Day.
Or not until the menace of avian influenza cast its long shadow over the turkey farm, that is. Traditionally Christmas wasn’t a great time to be a turkey, but things could be different this year. Fears have been voiced that bird flu could put some consumers off the popular white meat. So if you’re a pig, a duck or a sheep, it could be your lucky year. Kind of. Chris Lyddon brings us a festive feature on the turkey industry - just click the link at the bottom of this blog.
Meanwhile you’ll forgive us, I trust, for knocking off for Christmas week as of today (23 December). We’ll be back on the 3rd January with bright eyes and bushy tails, eager to sniff out the hottest news stories in the food industry. If 2006 is anything like 2005, we won’t be short of material.
I wish you all a happy Christmas or any other festival you happen to celebrate around this time of year, and a healthy and prosperous year in 2006.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016