Blog: A hectic first month for Ahold's new boss
Dean Best | 14 December 2007
It’s been an interesting first month in charge for Ahold CEO John Rishton.
The world’s seventh-largest retailer by sales has ploughed on with its revamp in the US with the sale of its Tops stores. The overhaul is designed to boost sales and margins of Ahold’s US business and its “value improvement programme” seems to be ticking over nicely.
Nevertheless, the changes haven’t stopped speculation about Ahold’s future with analysts predicting a merger between the Dutch giant and Belgian counterpart Delhaize.
Meanwhile, over in Scandinavia, Ahold’s retail venture has been rocked by a food safety scandal. The supermarket chain ICA has pledged to act after some stores in Sweden were found to be relabelling unsold meat and changing sell-by dates on the packages.
So, as we head into Christmas, perhaps Rishton will be warmed by figures from Ahold’s domestic market that claim festive sales are up 13% on last year.
Ahold’s Albert Heijn chain is the largest grocer in the Netherlands and is best-placed to benefit from a bumper Christmas after a robust last few months.
Fierce price wars have been a characteristic of the Dutch retail market in recent years; Rishton will no doubt be cheered that shoppers are looking for more premium items – for Christmas at least.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review