Blog: A little girl with a cunning plan
Catherine Sleep | 3 March 2004
My sister was surprised the other day when her seven-year-old daughter arrived home from school with her chocolate biscuit still in her lunchbox. The sandwich, fruit and vegetables were eaten, so why on earth had she left her “treat” item untouched?
As she explained over supper, it turned out that in her school assembly the children had been introduced to the concept of giving something up for Lent, and she had decided to deprive herself of chocolate. Great idea – and I hope her 40 days in a chocolate-free desert will teach her that she really can have a perfectly nice life without constant access to such little luxuries. We become accustomed to them but we don’t really need them. Knowing from experience that you can take or leave food items is greatly liberating.
Meanwhile her little sister mulled over this new concept and, ever the opportunist, announced to her Mum and Dad that she’d also decided to give up something to mark Lent… namely vegetables. Nice try, but not a chance!
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report