Blog: A little girl with a cunning plan
Catherine Sleep | 3 March 2004
My sister was surprised the other day when her seven-year-old daughter arrived home from school with her chocolate biscuit still in her lunchbox. The sandwich, fruit and vegetables were eaten, so why on earth had she left her “treat” item untouched?
As she explained over supper, it turned out that in her school assembly the children had been introduced to the concept of giving something up for Lent, and she had decided to deprive herself of chocolate. Great idea – and I hope her 40 days in a chocolate-free desert will teach her that she really can have a perfectly nice life without constant access to such little luxuries. We become accustomed to them but we don’t really need them. Knowing from experience that you can take or leave food items is greatly liberating.
Meanwhile her little sister mulled over this new concept and, ever the opportunist, announced to her Mum and Dad that she’d also decided to give up something to mark Lent… namely vegetables. Nice try, but not a chance!
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review