Blog: A message of goodwill from Morrisons
Dean Best | 4 December 2008
Christmas is a stressful time for all of us, not least those working in the food retail sector. It is one of the most competitive times of the year and, given the economic turmoil, retailers are battling it out for a share of an ever-more cautious consumer's pennies.
However, one man likely to be full of Christmas cheer is Morrisons boss Marc Bolland. Today (4 December), the UK's fourth-largest grocer confirmed its position as one of the country's more buoyant retailers with a bumper set of quarterly sales figures.
Morrisons saw third-quarter like-for-like sales rise 8.1%, outpacing the growth seen at Tesco, which earlier in the week revealed its own quarterly like-for-likes had risen by just 2%.
Bolland has even bought himself a Christmas present with the agreement to buy 38 stores from fellow UK retailer The Co-operative Group.
Nevertheless, given this is the season of goodwill to all men, Bolland resisted the temptation to send a gloating message to his supermarket rivals.
When he asked how he had found competing with the might of Tesco since arriving at Morrisons in 2006, Bolland said: “I have a strong respect for Tesco. It is probably the world's very best retailer. We operate in a very challenging environment and I am enjoying the challenge of competing in a market with the world leader of quality.”
A smooth Christmas message if ever there was one.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report