Blog: A Penny for Aldi and Lidl's thoughts....
Dean Best | 12 February 2009
Effective PR has been a key factor behind the rise of the discounters in the UK, particularly from Aldi.
The German giant, however, would do well to also keep any eye on what is happening in its own backyard.
Germany, the European market that is almost synonymous with cut-price retailing, is, unsurprisingly, also seeing its own price war as the downturn bites.
And it is the likes of Penny, the discount chain owned by German retailer Rewe Group, that is making great play of the value it can offer consumers.
Today (12 February), Penny trumpeted the results of a survey by German TV station Stern TV, which the retailer claimed showed it is “the cheapest discounter in Germany”.
Penny has launched a series of pricing offensives since the turn of the year in the battle for cash-strapped German shoppers.
“We will continue hard and consistently in our price-performance work: top quality at the lowest prices – simple, fair, honest,” claimed Rewe executive Armin Rehberg.
It's likely that the likes of Aldi and Lidl will not take that lying down.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities