Blog: A question of commitment
Catherine Sleep | 27 October 2004
When it comes to ethical issues it’s often difficult for companies with shareholders to put their money where their mouth is. The need to turn a profit can stand in the way of doing the right thing. It comes down to a question of commitment, which reminds me of a comparison I heard between the different parties involved in environmental protection and those involved in making a bacon & egg sandwich. The person who made the sandwich was involved, as was the chicken which laid the egg. But the pig, well, the pig was utterly committed, and that makes all the difference.
Last week I attended a conference examining the state of household waste recycling in the UK. Packaging manufacturers are getting involved in the debate as well as local authorities and retailers. Take a look at the feature I wrote if the burning issue of recycling interests you.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report