Blog: ADM preparing Q3 chocolate sale
Katy Askew | 6 August 2014
Agri-giant Archer Daniels Midland Company plans to sell its global chocolate operations by the end of the third quarter, the company said this week.
Speaking to analysts during a conference call, ADM president Juan Luciano said: "We expect to have signed agreement by the end of the third quarter to sell our global chocolate business." Luciano did not provide details of who the buyer was.
The move follows news in April that ADM will hold onto its cocoa presses but sell its smaller chocolate businesses after negotiations to sell both -reportedly to Cargill - collapsed.
ADM has chocolate manufacturing facilities in the US, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
The B2B supply of chocolate and cocoa has - like much of the food industry - been undergoing a process of consolidation in recent years. While ADM will hold onto the bulk of this side of its business, the prospect of a sale - particularly if it is to a player like Cargill - could help create a group capable of competing with the might of Barry Callebaut in the space.
With chocolate makers from Mondelez International to Hershey and Mars all being forced to hike prices in response to a jump in cocoa costs, the industry will likely watch developments at ADM closely.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review