Blog: ADM preparing Q3 chocolate sale
Katy Askew | 6 August 2014
Agri-giant Archer Daniels Midland Company plans to sell its global chocolate operations by the end of the third quarter, the company said this week.
Speaking to analysts during a conference call, ADM president Juan Luciano said: "We expect to have signed agreement by the end of the third quarter to sell our global chocolate business." Luciano did not provide details of who the buyer was.
The move follows news in April that ADM will hold onto its cocoa presses but sell its smaller chocolate businesses after negotiations to sell both -reportedly to Cargill - collapsed.
ADM has chocolate manufacturing facilities in the US, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
The B2B supply of chocolate and cocoa has - like much of the food industry - been undergoing a process of consolidation in recent years. While ADM will hold onto the bulk of this side of its business, the prospect of a sale - particularly if it is to a player like Cargill - could help create a group capable of competing with the might of Barry Callebaut in the space.
With chocolate makers from Mondelez International to Hershey and Mars all being forced to hike prices in response to a jump in cocoa costs, the industry will likely watch developments at ADM closely.
Singapore-based agribusiness giant Wilmar International is to publish more information on how it sources its palm oil, a move welcomed by environmentalists....
Just two weeks into 2015 and competition among UK grocers is heating up further. Will suppliers be caught in the crossfire? Corporate restructuring firm Begbies Traynor thinks so....
Boulder Brands is expanding its Udi's brand in the foodservice channel through a tie-up that will bring two varieties of gluten-free pizza to Pizza Hut outlets throughout the US....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019