Blog: ADM preparing Q3 chocolate sale
Katy Askew | 6 August 2014
Agri-giant Archer Daniels Midland Company plans to sell its global chocolate operations by the end of the third quarter, the company said this week.
Speaking to analysts during a conference call, ADM president Juan Luciano said: "We expect to have signed agreement by the end of the third quarter to sell our global chocolate business." Luciano did not provide details of who the buyer was.
The move follows news in April that ADM will hold onto its cocoa presses but sell its smaller chocolate businesses after negotiations to sell both -reportedly to Cargill - collapsed.
ADM has chocolate manufacturing facilities in the US, the UK, Belgium and Germany.
The B2B supply of chocolate and cocoa has - like much of the food industry - been undergoing a process of consolidation in recent years. While ADM will hold onto the bulk of this side of its business, the prospect of a sale - particularly if it is to a player like Cargill - could help create a group capable of competing with the might of Barry Callebaut in the space.
With chocolate makers from Mondelez International to Hershey and Mars all being forced to hike prices in response to a jump in cocoa costs, the industry will likely watch developments at ADM closely.
Unilever today (5 May) published news on the progress it is making on its ten-year programme to double in size while reducing its impact on the environment - and claimed its efforts were becoming an e...
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned lower maize harvests in Africa could "trigger food price increases"....
Home baking category sales have had something of a roller coaster ride in recent years. ...
- Focus: Why ABF is making bread better-for-you
- Why China was central to Nestle executive change
- Comment: How dairy can leverage nutrition
- Focus: Quality, innovation driving Chinese milk
- Nomad's post-Iglo opportunities
- Kellogg CEO: sales trends are improving
- Oreo, gum propels Mondelez in China
- General Mills cuts Yoplait sugar by 25%
- Dean Foods brings milk brands under single label
- First Milk to cut jobs, milk prices
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Seasonings, Dressings & Sauces Market: Merger and Acquisitions February 2015
- Food and beverage packaging today – what’s next?
- North America Food & Beverage Stabilizers and Systems Market – Analysis and Forecast upto 2019
- Global Food and Beverages Consumer Packaging Market Outlook to 2018 - Players Shifting Focus towards Emerging Markets