Blog: Ahold, Delhaize tie-up creates competitive US giant
Katy Askew | 24 June 2015
Dutch supermarket operator Ahold and Belgium-based retailer Delhaize Group announced today (24 June) that a long-awaited merger deal been finalised in a move these two European retail giants hope will improve their competitiveness across the pond.
The combination will create the fifth-largest retailer in the US – a market where Ahold operates under the Stop & Shop and Giant banners and Delhaize runs the Food Lion supermarket chain. Both companies have operations on the east coast and their store portfolio is certainly highly complementary.
Management are likely banking on the likelihood that the merger will enable the combined company – Ahold Delhaize - to operate more effectively in the highly competitive US market, where Ahold Delhaize generates more than 50% of revenue. The companies have been squeezed by growing competition from the likes of Wal-Mart, club stores such as Costco, and the encroachment of the German discounters Aldi and Lidl.
The combined company will generate global sales of EUR54.2bn, with more than 6,500 stores in the US and Europe. Integrating their operations will generate annual cost savings to EUR500m by the third year after the transaction. With the majority of overlap in the US, it seems likely that the lion's share of savings will be generated here. And a more efficient operation should indeed help Ahold Delhaize improve its performance in this highly competitive market.
Under the terms of the transaction, Delhaize shareholders would receive 4.75 shares of Ahold for each share of Delhaize they own. Ahold shareholders would own 61% of the combined company, while Delhaize shareholders would own the remaining 39%. The deal is pending approvals and requires shareholder backing.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities