Blog: Ahold launches German assault
Dean Best | 13 September 2012
Ahold opened first store in Germany yesterday (12 September)
Ahold has opened its first store in Germany, a convenience outlet modelled on the newest AH To Go concept it has in its own market. And the Dutch retail giant tells just-food it has plans for ten more of the stores in Germany in the next year.
The retailer outlined plans to move into neighbouring Germany last August and yesterday (12 September) opened its first store in the country in the city of Aachen.
Ahold's current management is more cautious than regimes of 15 to 20 years ago when it comes to international expansion but the new AH To Go store in Germany follows its foray into Belgium last year.
Germany is renowned as being one of the toughest retail markets in the world and international retailers have struggled, including Wal-Mart which quit the market in 2006.
Nevertheless, Ahold sees potential. A spokesperson for Ahold's German business said the goal is to open "ten stores in the next 12 months".
The retailer believes the convenience sector in Germany is a "niche" it can exploit.
"The convenience market is poorly developed," she says. "There are not many comparable concepts to AH To Go."
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- How Nestle tackles Indian challenges - interview
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Mondelez focuses on margins as sales slip
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report