Blog: All eyes on Aldi in the UK
Dean Best | 28 May 2008
Food is seen as a safe-haven for investors in times of recession as, obviously, we all need to eat.
The latest sales figures on UK retailing, issued today (28 May), support that maxim, which is, perhaps, to be expected.
Interestingly, though, German discounter Aldi has gained the most from weaker consumer spending and anxiety over the economy.
According to TNS Worldpanel, Aldi saw sales jump 19% during the 12 weeks to 18 May and the company now accounts for 2.8% of UK grocery sales – up from 2.5% a year ago.
The figures also support claims made by Aldi UK chief Paul Foley that the company represents an “obvious choice” for cash-strapped UK shoppers.
And among the big four, it is Asda and Morrisons that are gaining ground on Tesco and Sainsbury’s.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report