Blog: An ethical festive dinner?
Dean Best | 27 November 2009
Across the Atlantic, our US cousins are probably right now gingerly waking up after yesterday's (26 November) Thanksgiving festivities.
In under a month (The C-word is banned around here until 1 December - Scrooge ed), we will be tucking into turkey and all the trimmings (yum).
But while we gorge ourselves, do we think of the environmental consequences of what is on our plates?
Let's face it, it is unlikely but, today, an article on Channel 4's online food pages perked our interest here.
The channel is aiming to calculate the 'food miles' of a festive dinner and discusses which UK supermarkets are "leading the way in minimising Christmas lunch food miles".
As we know, food miles is a bit of a flawed concept when analysing a foodstuff's true carbon footprint but, by at least highlighting the issue, the Channel 4 site is trying to encourage us to think green as we think grub.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review