Blog: Another food manufacturing blow for one UK town
Petah Marian | 18 March 2011
The UK town of Okehampton has suffered another manufacturing-related blow as Harrods' chocolate supplier Browne's Chocolates entered liquidation.
Insolvency practitioner Neville & Co of Plymouth confirmed to just-food today (17 March) it has begun liquidation proceedings at the manufacturer.
The announcement follows the closure of Polestar Foods' Okehampton Desserts factory at the start of February, with some 232 people being made redundant at that site.
The Okehampton frozen desserts factory was acquired by Devonshire Desserts a month ago, which is currently assessing the future of the plan, but could not confirm whether it would re-hire any former employees.
Also, some 69 jobs are under threat at Robert Wiseman Dairies as it plans to close its Okehampton site in April as it moves to a dairy in Bridgewater.
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever 'giving serious thought to split'
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mead Johnson acquires Bega Cheese capacity
- ABF sees further grocery revival