Blog: Another food manufacturing blow for one UK town
Petah Marian | 18 March 2011
The UK town of Okehampton has suffered another manufacturing-related blow as Harrods' chocolate supplier Browne's Chocolates entered liquidation.
Insolvency practitioner Neville & Co of Plymouth confirmed to just-food today (17 March) it has begun liquidation proceedings at the manufacturer.
The announcement follows the closure of Polestar Foods' Okehampton Desserts factory at the start of February, with some 232 people being made redundant at that site.
The Okehampton frozen desserts factory was acquired by Devonshire Desserts a month ago, which is currently assessing the future of the plan, but could not confirm whether it would re-hire any former employees.
Also, some 69 jobs are under threat at Robert Wiseman Dairies as it plans to close its Okehampton site in April as it moves to a dairy in Bridgewater.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020