Blog: Any old iron…
Catherine Sleep | 10 September 2004
My husband’s oldest pal is getting married tomorrow, so we took responsibility for adorning the wedding car with a string of tin cans, in time-honoured fashion. The noise they make is traditionally believed to avert evil spirits, which of course we all know is rubbish, but hey ho, tradition is tradition, the best man has to show willing and all that.
So, having left it to the last minute and failed to save up cans, I did a mercy dash to Tesco yesterday to buy 15 cans of their cheapest food. Know what it was? Spaghetti in tomato sauce, at the bargain bucket price of eight pence per can.
Must be a loss leader, I suppose. We felt terrible throwing it away , so ate one can for supper – it wasn’t as awful as I’d recalled. I can’t imagine what we’re going to do with the other 14 cans worth of it, which is now sitting in the fridge decanted into pyrex dishes. Any suggestions?
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report