Blog: Any old iron…
Catherine Sleep | 10 September 2004
My husband’s oldest pal is getting married tomorrow, so we took responsibility for adorning the wedding car with a string of tin cans, in time-honoured fashion. The noise they make is traditionally believed to avert evil spirits, which of course we all know is rubbish, but hey ho, tradition is tradition, the best man has to show willing and all that.
So, having left it to the last minute and failed to save up cans, I did a mercy dash to Tesco yesterday to buy 15 cans of their cheapest food. Know what it was? Spaghetti in tomato sauce, at the bargain bucket price of eight pence per can.
Must be a loss leader, I suppose. We felt terrible throwing it away , so ate one can for supper – it wasn’t as awful as I’d recalled. I can’t imagine what we’re going to do with the other 14 cans worth of it, which is now sitting in the fridge decanted into pyrex dishes. Any suggestions?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review