Blog: Aromatherapy chocolate
Catherine Sleep | 15 August 2006
In an effort to capture imagination and market share, modern confectioners are turning to innovative ingredients one wouldn’t normally expect to find in a chocolate bar. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Devon company Feeding Your Imagination has used recipes developed by Masterchef of Great Britain Paul Da Costa Greaves, and several of the ingredients are indeed somewhat ‘cheffy’. It’s not everyday you taste chocolate with geranium rose, or bergamot, or black pepper and grapefruit, is it?
If you’re going to use gutsy ingredients like this you need a delicate hand, though. I tried the milk chocolate with chilli, sweet orange and nutmeg, and was relieved to find that the chilli was included in just the right quantity. I recently had a chocolate and chilli tart made by my favourite neighbourhood produce store, Bill’s, but the chilli was so hot it blew my head off, whereas the FYI chocolate just gives a pleasing afterglow. Which is quite appropriate, given that the bar is called Sensual.
The only disappointment is that the range does not include any dark chocolate, just milk and white. I guess it’s a personal preference, but I find a good dark chocolate has the edge over most milk chocolate and complements robust ingredients nicely. Oh, and at £3.95 per 100g bar it 's not cheap. But it's organic, it's innovative, it's beautifully presented and I'd rather eat this quality of chocolate now and again than lower grade stuff on a daily basis.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements