Blog: Au revoir SIAL 2006
Catherine Sleep | 1 November 2006
Last week industry eyes were trained firmly on Paris, France, where SIAL, the huge biennial trade exhibition for the world food marketplace, was staged. Exhibitors came from far and wide to hawk their latest innovations, and just-food was of course there to report back on the highlights.
Many of the products launched were straightforward brand extensions, but it was the manufacturers who had dug a little deeper who grabbed the headlines. Vegetable yoghurts and an oven-ready fondue were just two of the products that caught our attention; you can read more about the show highlights by clicking here.
Continuing our French focus, we also brought you an investigation of the state of the canned food sector in France. While canned food has rather fallen out of favour in many countries, it never really went out of fashion in France. Perhaps it’s not surprising – can you imagine shipping foie gras without a can? For more information check out a filing on canned food from one of our French correspondents, Peter Crosskey.
On the corporate front, United Biscuits found a new buyer in the shape of private equity partners the Blackstone Group and PAI partners. Meanwhile Altria finally announced “the date when it will announce the date” for its oh-so-long anticipated spin-off of Kraft Foods. So, the number one US food company is inching closer to independence, but progress is slow.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020