Blog: Bad science
Catherine Sleep | 10 December 2003
Or bad programme-making at the very least. The UK media made quite a fuss last week about a BBC Real Story programme which put three slightly overweight doctors on the Atkins diet for a month and followed their progress. Much of the programme was devoted to Dr. Maurice Gleeson, who ended up being hospitalised with chronic stomach pains and being fed intravenously.
The trouble is, Gleeson admits he didn’t stick to the diet, indulging in both alcohol and chocolate biscuits in weaker moments. So all his case really ‘proved’ was that if you try to follow Atkins, but cheat, you may hit trouble. The other two doctors fared better, although one found that her levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol had risen above a clinically safe level. While the experiment doubtless fuelled concern about low-carb diets, as an attempt at a clinical trial, it was hopeless.
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Aryzta appoints Gary McGann as chairman
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities