Blog: Bad week for goats
Catherine Sleep | 3 February 2005
Not a good week for goats, or farmers. The word BSE is enough to strike fear into any livestock farmer’s heart, as we in the UK are only too well placed to know. This week confirmation came that a goat in France did indeed die of BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy). We know this goat did not enter the food or feed chain, and that the other animals in its herd all tested negative. But still, the news sends shivers down the spine of the European farming sector and prompted calls for more sophisticated testing.
Meanwhile, another big story in the food industry this week broke when food processor Dean Foods said it plans to spin off its specialty foods group to Dean shareholders in order to enable the company to focus on its core dairy and branded businesses. The planned debt-free spin-off of the specialty foods group will create a consumer packaged goods company with about 1,700 employees and estimated 2005 revenue of more than US$700m.
Analysts seem enthused by the fact that Sam Reed, who presided over Keebler in 2001 when Kellogg acquired the cookie maker in a deal valued at $4.4bn, will be steering the new company. Instant management credibility is clearly the name of the game.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review