Blog: Bad week for goats
Catherine Sleep | 3 February 2005
Not a good week for goats, or farmers. The word BSE is enough to strike fear into any livestock farmer’s heart, as we in the UK are only too well placed to know. This week confirmation came that a goat in France did indeed die of BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy). We know this goat did not enter the food or feed chain, and that the other animals in its herd all tested negative. But still, the news sends shivers down the spine of the European farming sector and prompted calls for more sophisticated testing.
Meanwhile, another big story in the food industry this week broke when food processor Dean Foods said it plans to spin off its specialty foods group to Dean shareholders in order to enable the company to focus on its core dairy and branded businesses. The planned debt-free spin-off of the specialty foods group will create a consumer packaged goods company with about 1,700 employees and estimated 2005 revenue of more than US$700m.
Analysts seem enthused by the fact that Sam Reed, who presided over Keebler in 2001 when Kellogg acquired the cookie maker in a deal valued at $4.4bn, will be steering the new company. Instant management credibility is clearly the name of the game.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review