Blog: Ban on egg TV ad was right
Dean Best | 20 June 2007
The ban of a return for a TV commercial promoting the consumption of eggs has caused something of a furore here in the UK today (20 June).
A debate has raged in the country’s newspapers and on its airwaves over whether the ban on the 1950s ad was correct in following today’s nutritional guidelines – or whether it smacked of a petty following of the rules.
The just-food office has advocates on both sides of the debate but your correspondent believes the flak directed at the watchdog is misguided.
Times have moved on since the 1950s – and rightly so. Today, we know more about the importance of a balanced and varied diet; to allow an ad that promoted eating an egg a day to return to UK screens would serve to undermine the work that has gone on to convince consumers to eat more healthily.
Bemoaning the watchdog’s decision is a nostalgic trap UK consumers should not fall into.
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report