Blog: Barcelona bathed in sunshine
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
After an early start (but running on Lucozade and the adrenalin of last night's fine win at the Emirates), just-food has just arrived in Barcelona for day one of the World Retail Congress, a key event in the industry calendar.
The conference centre is bathed in sunshine, somewhat incogruous weather given the economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector.
This afternoon, the conference spotlight moves to the impact of the recession on one of the industry's most promising - but also most perilous (ask Danone) of markets - India.
Just how are domestic and international retailers coping with the effects of the slowdown on the Indian economy?
Later, discussions will turn to the "new" emerging markets - with south-east Asia, Turkey, Poland and north Africa flagged as those set to offer the most potential in the years ahead.
Stay tuned to just-food for more later on in the day....
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- How PepsiCo is taking action on palm oil
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- MP calls for probe into Bernard Matthews "sale"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report