Blog: Barcelona bathed in sunshine
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
After an early start (but running on Lucozade and the adrenalin of last night's fine win at the Emirates), just-food has just arrived in Barcelona for day one of the World Retail Congress, a key event in the industry calendar.
The conference centre is bathed in sunshine, somewhat incogruous weather given the economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector.
This afternoon, the conference spotlight moves to the impact of the recession on one of the industry's most promising - but also most perilous (ask Danone) of markets - India.
Just how are domestic and international retailers coping with the effects of the slowdown on the Indian economy?
Later, discussions will turn to the "new" emerging markets - with south-east Asia, Turkey, Poland and north Africa flagged as those set to offer the most potential in the years ahead.
Stay tuned to just-food for more later on in the day....
A year after union officials alleged Fyffes abused workers on plantations in Central America - and called on the produce giant to be kicked out of the Ethical Trading Initiative forum - the company is...
Much of the chatter about where 3G Capital could look next has centred on packaged food - but might the private-equity fund be about to extend its foodservice empire?...
Headlines that Mead Johnson's board has backed Reckitt Benckiser's takeover bid will no doubt overshadow the other news on the group this week – that it is facing a US lawsuit from a “whistle blower” ...
Kantar Worldpanel issued its monthly supermarket share data in the UK this morning - and the numbers showed a change in the identity of the country's top five food retailers....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid