Blog: Barcelona bathed in sunshine
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
After an early start (but running on Lucozade and the adrenalin of last night's fine win at the Emirates), just-food has just arrived in Barcelona for day one of the World Retail Congress, a key event in the industry calendar.
The conference centre is bathed in sunshine, somewhat incogruous weather given the economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector.
This afternoon, the conference spotlight moves to the impact of the recession on one of the industry's most promising - but also most perilous (ask Danone) of markets - India.
Just how are domestic and international retailers coping with the effects of the slowdown on the Indian economy?
Later, discussions will turn to the "new" emerging markets - with south-east Asia, Turkey, Poland and north Africa flagged as those set to offer the most potential in the years ahead.
Stay tuned to just-food for more later on in the day....
Hain Celestial, under the scrutiny of the investment community in recent months and facing some challenges in its domestic market, has announced another shuffling of its management pack....
FrieslandCampina, which today served up higher profits but lower sales for 2016, is ready to offload the last non-dairy business owned by the Dutch cooperative giant....
To follow on from our earlier notice and after some hard work from our technical team, just-food is back live after today's power outage....
Much of the UK has felt the impact of Storm Doris today - and just-food's head office has been no exception....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast