Blog: Barcelona bathed in sunshine
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
After an early start (but running on Lucozade and the adrenalin of last night's fine win at the Emirates), just-food has just arrived in Barcelona for day one of the World Retail Congress, a key event in the industry calendar.
The conference centre is bathed in sunshine, somewhat incogruous weather given the economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector.
This afternoon, the conference spotlight moves to the impact of the recession on one of the industry's most promising - but also most perilous (ask Danone) of markets - India.
Just how are domestic and international retailers coping with the effects of the slowdown on the Indian economy?
Later, discussions will turn to the "new" emerging markets - with south-east Asia, Turkey, Poland and north Africa flagged as those set to offer the most potential in the years ahead.
Stay tuned to just-food for more later on in the day....
Today (23 December) is just-food's last day before closing for Christmas. We'll return, raring to go on Tuesday 3 January - but of course there's been plenty of top-notch content that has gone live in...
The plethora of food manufacturing associations in the UK has been argued by some to be an impediment to the industry coming to a coherent position on the aftermath of Brexit and on what the sector sh...
An update on Amazon's plans for the grocery sector. The usually reticent retailer has this week poured cold water on claims it has plans for 2,000 physical grocery stores....
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Food market in 2017: big foodservice trends
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Dairy giant Muller appoints new CFO, COO
- Kellogg announces new "nutritious" line-up
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- PepsiCo launches Walkers Mediterranean in UK