Blog: Barcelona bathed in sunshine
Dean Best | 6 May 2009
After an early start (but running on Lucozade and the adrenalin of last night's fine win at the Emirates), just-food has just arrived in Barcelona for day one of the World Retail Congress, a key event in the industry calendar.
The conference centre is bathed in sunshine, somewhat incogruous weather given the economic storm-clouds swirling around the sector.
This afternoon, the conference spotlight moves to the impact of the recession on one of the industry's most promising - but also most perilous (ask Danone) of markets - India.
Just how are domestic and international retailers coping with the effects of the slowdown on the Indian economy?
Later, discussions will turn to the "new" emerging markets - with south-east Asia, Turkey, Poland and north Africa flagged as those set to offer the most potential in the years ahead.
Stay tuned to just-food for more later on in the day....
Since Theresa May took over as UK Prime Minister in the wake of the country's referendum vote to quit the European Union, she and her ministers have been at pains not to divulge their negotiating posi...
Greenpeace's long-running campaign against UK tuna brand John West, owned by seafood giant Thai Union, is now directing its fire against Sainsbury's....
The Obama administration appears to have conceded the landmark Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal will not be pushed through in the lame-duck session of Congress before Donald Trump is inaugur...
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti