Blog: Barilla eyeing 3D printing
Katy Askew | 23 December 2014
Pasta maker Barilla has joined the likes of Hershey in investigating the uses of 3D printing in the food sector.
The Italian company, in collaboration with crowd sourcing platform Thingarage, has announced the winners of a competition to design pasta shapes using 3D printing technology.
More than 200 design concepts were submitted. The winning entries included a rose that opens when boiled, designed by French industrial designer Loris Tupin; Vortipa, a vortex pattern by Italian design team Danilo Spiga and Luis Fraguarda; and Lune, a moon complete with craters by Alessandro Carabini, an Italian product designer.
While we are unlikely to see pastas made using 3D technology hitting the shelves any time soon, activities like this are an important element in efforts to build bridges between the food sector and proponents of new technologies such as 3D printing.
"We were thrilled to see the enthusiasm with which the contest was greeted by the designer community, which is not used to dealing with food. There are several steps that must be taken on the 3D project - but whatever the future of pasta, Barilla is going to be there," said Michela Petronio, research VP at Barilla.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020