Blog: Barry Callebaut broadens reach with nut M&A
Katy Askew | 9 June 2015
B2B confectionery supplier Barry Callebaut has entered into an agreement to acquire US nut producer American Almond Products Co. for an undisclosed sum.
The deal is small in terms of Barry Callebaut's overall scale. Financial terms were not disclosed but analysts at Kepler Cheuvreux estimate that, with sales of CHF15m (US$16.2m), Barry Callebaut is likely to have paid in the region of CHF30m for American Almond.
The bolt-on acquisition broadens the group's reach into adjacent ingredients categories and expands Barry Callebaut's ability to serve its confectioner customers with an on-trend range of artisanal nut products. In a similar step, the Barry Callebaut acquired Spanish nut company La Morella in early 2012, becoming a leader in nut-based ingredients in Europe.
Dave Johnson, CEO and president of Barry Callebaut's Americas arm, said: "American Almond's business fits perfectly with our overall strategy to further strengthen our market position in adjacent ingredients products for both our gourmet and specialties and food manufacturers products business. The acquired business will significantly broaden our product portfolio and open up attractive new growth opportunities as it complements our chocolate and cocoa product offerings."
A new report by the Soil Association has highlighted a lack of healthy lunch options at the cafes of some of the UK's most prestigious visitor attractions....
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Advantage Capital Agribusiness Partners (ACAP), along with Silas Capital and Emil Capital Partners, is investing US$3m Florida-based Vintage Italia, the maker of Pasta Chips snacks. ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report