Blog: Barry Callebaut broadens reach with nut M&A
Katy Askew | 9 June 2015
B2B confectionery supplier Barry Callebaut has entered into an agreement to acquire US nut producer American Almond Products Co. for an undisclosed sum.
The deal is small in terms of Barry Callebaut's overall scale. Financial terms were not disclosed but analysts at Kepler Cheuvreux estimate that, with sales of CHF15m (US$16.2m), Barry Callebaut is likely to have paid in the region of CHF30m for American Almond.
The bolt-on acquisition broadens the group's reach into adjacent ingredients categories and expands Barry Callebaut's ability to serve its confectioner customers with an on-trend range of artisanal nut products. In a similar step, the Barry Callebaut acquired Spanish nut company La Morella in early 2012, becoming a leader in nut-based ingredients in Europe.
Dave Johnson, CEO and president of Barry Callebaut's Americas arm, said: "American Almond's business fits perfectly with our overall strategy to further strengthen our market position in adjacent ingredients products for both our gourmet and specialties and food manufacturers products business. The acquired business will significantly broaden our product portfolio and open up attractive new growth opportunities as it complements our chocolate and cocoa product offerings."
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Almond marketer and processor Blue Diamond Growers is increasing its capacity with the opening of a new bulk storage warehouse in Saldia, California. ...
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review