Blog: Be prepared – for frugality
Dean Best | 16 June 2009
As well as the debate over green shoots, there has been a lot of discussion on how consumers will behave when the recovery finally comes.
Others believe that some UK consumers could revert back to something approaching a 21st century Loadsamoney.
Now, there is an element of bullishness in statement from the discounters that some of the changes to the way consumers perceive value will be “sticky”. After the growth of the last 12 months, the discounters will be keeping everything crossed that shoppers will still like a bargain.
Industry watches Rabobank certainly think so. In a new podcast, Rabobank ponders whether the way consumer habits have changed will be “secular” – i.e. permanent – or cyclical.
Rabobank's Stephen Rannekleiv has put his chips on the former. “An economic recovery would help loosen up consumer purse strings, and improve some of the consumer confidence levels.
“But many of the pre-recession spending trends were somewhat unsustainable. I think consumers have changed. "Food and beverage companies need to be prepared for more frugality from consumers.”
The question is: are you?
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report