Blog: Be prepared – for frugality
Dean Best | 16 June 2009
As well as the debate over green shoots, there has been a lot of discussion on how consumers will behave when the recovery finally comes.
Others believe that some UK consumers could revert back to something approaching a 21st century Loadsamoney.
Now, there is an element of bullishness in statement from the discounters that some of the changes to the way consumers perceive value will be “sticky”. After the growth of the last 12 months, the discounters will be keeping everything crossed that shoppers will still like a bargain.
Industry watches Rabobank certainly think so. In a new podcast, Rabobank ponders whether the way consumer habits have changed will be “secular” – i.e. permanent – or cyclical.
Rabobank's Stephen Rannekleiv has put his chips on the former. “An economic recovery would help loosen up consumer purse strings, and improve some of the consumer confidence levels.
“But many of the pre-recession spending trends were somewhat unsustainable. I think consumers have changed. "Food and beverage companies need to be prepared for more frugality from consumers.”
The question is: are you?
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review