Blog: Belgium boring? Not for Carrefour
Dean Best | 6 April 2010
Rightly or wrongly, Belgium has a reputation for not being the most exciting place on the planet.
Carrefour, for one, would be forgiven for arguing the point.
The world's second-largest retailer has faced challenges in Belgium for years and, in recent months, its problems have grown as, under the leadership of CEO Lars Olofsson, the company has attempted to revamp its business in the country.
However, that revamp - including store closures and job losses - have attracted the anger of unions and, as we discuss today, played into the hands of rivals Colruyt and Delhaize.
With Carrefour watering down its plans and still facing an unhappy union, and with its rivals gaining market share, where does the French giant go from here?
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
Hershey made an unusual announcement today (20 September), sharing its own sales data for the last four weeks to assuage any possible investor concern over figures released by Nielsen....
As the UK starts to ponder what kind of a relationship it wants with the European Union post-Brexit, EU leaders have been lining up to warn that Britain will not be allowed to "cherry pick" deals and ...
Low food prices continue to hold back inflation rates in the UK as the supermarket price war continues in the face of rising import costs. ...
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Ahold Delhaize resolves Kraft Heinz delisting spat
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report