Blog: Bernard Matthews hopes chef backing won't be a turkey
Katy Askew | 19 March 2010
UK meat firm Bernard Matthews has announced that TV chef Marco Pierre White will endorse its products in a bid to boost the profile of turkey in the country.
The Hell's Kitchen star will encourage people to consider eating turkey all year round, rather than just at Christmas, as well as developing a new range of turkey products for the group.
“Ever since I was a young boy I've been an admirer of turkey and particularly Bernard Matthews, because he is without question one of the great farmers of the last five decades,” White claimed.
“Turkey is the nation's favourite roast on the most important family day of the year, so why not all year round?”
Whether or not White's backing will be enough to boost turkey consumption, which is often viewed as a strictly seasonal meat by many UK consumers, remains to be seen.
To change the nation's eating habits is no tall order.
That said, fellow celeb chef Jamie Oliver successfully managed to do so in his high-profile campaign against Bernard Matthews staple Turkey Twizzlers, much to the company's chagrin.
In the years since Oliver's assault on the Twizzler and its place on the school dinner menu, the company has worked hard to emphasise the healthy credentials of its products. However, it is yet to truly shrug off the shadow left by the campaign.
So, perhaps the backing of another TV chef will, at last, help the Bernard Matthews brand move on.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review