Blog: Bertolli, Buitoni see marketing opportunity in Barilla gaffe
Michelle Russell | 30 September 2013
Unilever USA's Bertolli and Nestle's Buitoni USA have chosen social media as a way of capitalising on the furore surrounding a recent campaign by one of its closest rivals.
Barilla, one of Italy's largest food groups, became embroiled in a PR storm last week after some controversial remarks by the company president in a radio interview.
Guido Barilla reportedly told Italian radio programme La Zanzara he would not choose to make adverts that portrayed homosexual families.
Competitor Bertolli clearly saw an advantage to be played here and has since taken to Facebook to promote its Bertolli product range as "sauce for all".
One user commented: "You have a new customer! For years, I have bought ONLY barilla pasta, but now I can't wait to buy my bertolli pasta when I go shopping this week."
Similarly, Buitoni posted an image on its Facebook page with the message "pasta for all" and an image of pasta shapes representing three kinds of sexual relationship.
The "apology" by Guido at the weekend, that Barilla "care about everyone, regardless of race, religion, belief, gender or sexual orientation", may not yet be enough to calm consumers and dampen the fierce criticism from equality groups that his comments have provoked.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
This week, Bel struck a deal to buy a majority stake in fellow French group MOM Brands. Another French food major, Danone, faced criticism in the US over its plans for GMO ingredients. US snack maker ...
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review