Blog: Beware of consumer sophistication
Dean Best | 15 May 2007
Innovation. Health and wellbeing. Sustainability. Three of the most common buzzwords and phrases in the food industry right now.
One tends to see the same terms crop up in marketing messages throughout the industry as companies try to tap into ever evolving consumer trends.
However, there is a danger in this. Industry watchers believe that consumers are getting more sophisticated in their understanding of the food industry’s advertising and marketing techniques. And with people more aware of their personal health, companies need to be wary about the claims they make when promoting their wares.
US consumer goods giant Procter and Gamble has revamped its business into three divisions – one of which is global health and wellbeing. Notably, that unit will include such healthy brands as Pringles crisps.
Now, there is the argument that consumers are unlikely to be aware of how a business organises itself internally. But nevertheless there is something incongruous about running a crisp brand under a health and wellbeing banner.
We hear a lot in the food industry about two interconnected trends: and social media and “foodie” culture....
Nestle, set to welcome a new CEO on 1 January, has announced more changes to the make-up of its senior management team....
Blue Bell Creameries is trying to win back the trust of consumers after a fatal listeriosis outbreak last year was linked to its products - but in recent days the US ice cream maker has issued another...
The UK's competition regulator has given the all-clear to Hain Celestial's bid to buy UK food and beverage group Orchard House Foods, nine months after the US group announced the deal....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Aryzta FY profits fall
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle close to finalising Garoto deal
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities