Blog: Beware of consumer sophistication
Dean Best | 15 May 2007
Innovation. Health and wellbeing. Sustainability. Three of the most common buzzwords and phrases in the food industry right now.
One tends to see the same terms crop up in marketing messages throughout the industry as companies try to tap into ever evolving consumer trends.
However, there is a danger in this. Industry watchers believe that consumers are getting more sophisticated in their understanding of the food industry’s advertising and marketing techniques. And with people more aware of their personal health, companies need to be wary about the claims they make when promoting their wares.
US consumer goods giant Procter and Gamble has revamped its business into three divisions – one of which is global health and wellbeing. Notably, that unit will include such healthy brands as Pringles crisps.
Now, there is the argument that consumers are unlikely to be aware of how a business organises itself internally. But nevertheless there is something incongruous about running a crisp brand under a health and wellbeing banner.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review