Blog: Big cheese Mandara in pizza trouble
Michelle Russell | 18 July 2012
It seems mozzarella tycoon Giuseppe Mandara has found himself in spot of bother after being arrested with three associates near Naples in Italy yesterday (17 July).
The man who once dubbed himself the "Armani of mozzarella" is accused of producing counterfeit cheese and receiving money from the Camorra mafia, according to reports.
Mandara is understood to have been collaborating with the Casalesi clan of the Naples-based Camorra mafia, and allegedly mixing cow's milk with more expensive buffalo milk - a key ingredient in the trademark soft white cheese - and passing off batches of provolone cheese as being of a more superior quality with false labelling, The Daily Telegraph has reported.
His Mandara Group, a major global exporter of mozzarella sold by large chains in Europe, the US and Japan, is said to have received "significant" injections of cash from the Camorra mafia, the organised crime group based in Campania, the region where mozzarella is produced.
This, however, isn't the first scandal to hit the mozzarella industry in recent years.
In 2010, Italian authorities issued a Europe-wide alert over possible contamination of mozzarella after balls of the cheese turned blue, according to the Telegraph. Two years earlier, a police investigation found some cheese to have been made with milk contaminated by dioxins, resulting in some countries suspending imports of buffalo mozzarella.
Mandara, who in 2010 reportedly said his company produced 78,000 cheeses a day and employed 180 people, was shown being led away by police puffing what may be his last cigar for a while.
The BBC turned to just-food today for insight on the price dispute between Tesco and Unilever....
Just weeks after buying UK turkey processor Bernard Matthews from administration, food tycoon Ranjit Boparan has struck a similar deal....
Shares in Tyson Foods slumped on Friday, closing down almost 9% after an analyst claimed a lawsuit facing the company could hit the US meat titan....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review